Around Marin County
Awards and Honors
- Local leaders in conservation receive state recognition for their efforts and contributions as 2015 Excellence in Conservation Planning award recipients at this year’s California Association of Resource Conservation Districts Conference:
~ Kristan Flynn received the Individual Planning Excellence award. Kristan is the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Range Conservationist, has worked closely with local ranchers and farmers to implement fencing, water development, and other practices that improve ranch operations and protect soil, water, and wildlife habitat quality.
~ Jeff Creque was recognized as the Excellence in Innovation recipient. Jeff is a career rangeland scientist, Director for the Carbon Cycle Institute, and founding member of the Marin Carbon Project. His contributions and role include the development and growth of carbon farm plans – comprehensive individual ranch blueprints for implementation of carbon friendly practices leading to significant carbon capture and sequestration.
- Sonoma Marin Young Farmers and Ranchers member, Andrea Krout, won discussion meet, discussing ways to balance agricultural water needs with maintaining vibrant communities in Sonoma and Marin. Andrea, who raises cattle in Petaluma and works as a district director for a Sonoma County supervisor, discussed the importance of continued improvements in irrigation technology, use of above ground storage and of water reuse programs to address the state’s water problems.
- 5th Annual Beef Improvement Symposium: Saturday, January 9, 2016, 8am-5pm at UC Davis. Featured speakers and agenda available online. Register online now.
- Eco Farm Conference - Regenerating our Lands and Water: January 20 - 23, 2016 in Pacific Grove, CA. Check out the schedule, including pre-conference events and special events. Online registration now open.
- CA Small Farms Conference: March 5-8, 2016 in Sacramento, CA. Check out the schedule of keynote speakers, plenary sessions, workshops, and tasting receptions online now.
- The Grange Farm School in Mendocino County aims to train the next generation of farmers. Now accepting applications to the 2016 Grange Farm School Practicum Student Program, a 14 week residential student program focusing on the tools to manage a successful agricultural enterprise.
Sonoma Flower Mart is opening spring of 2016 as a wholesale flower mart featuring flowers grown in Marin, Napa and Sonoma County. For more information on becoming a vendor or a buyer please reach out via their contact form at Sonoma Flower Mart.
- Just published from UC ANR: two free publications California Dairies: Protecting Water Quality and Drought Strategies for California Prune Production, as well as Tree Fruit Pest Identification Cards for $10.00.
- "Like" UCCE Marin on Facebook for updates about what's happening in Marin.