Around Marin County
Awards and Honors
- Congratulations to Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company for their 2nd place win at the World Championship Cheese Contest in Madison, WI, for their “Original Blue” raw milk, classic-style blue cheese.
- Agricultural Institute of Marin’s Farm Field Studies Program brings children and young adults from around the Bay Area to local farms to make connections between the environment, agriculture, and the food they eat. Farm field trips are available March-November for
K-12 students and community groups.
- New documentary on hunger in Marin now available free online. “Hungry in Paradise” is accessible free of charge on ExtraFood.org and highlights children, seniors, and families struggling with hunger in Marin and shows participants in ExtraFood.org’s county-wide food recovery program battling the problem.
- Community Jam: A Northern California Gleaning Summit on Saturday, June 4th, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Sonoma Mountain Village. Join other gleaners and community food rescue and recovery advocates from across Northern California for an inspiring day of collaboration, cross pollination, and skill building.
- UCCE Marin and Sonoma are excited to continue the very popular "FARMING 101" program, a monthly farming skills workshop held at the Petaluma Seed Bank. First developed by Marin Organic, Farming 101 takes place on the second Tuesday of every month at the Petaluma Seed Bank.
- Sonoma Flower Mart is opening spring of 2016 as a wholesale flower mart featuring flowers grown in Marin, Napa and Sonoma County. For more information on becoming a vendor or a buyer please reach out via their contact form at Sonoma Flower Mart.
- Spring is a great time to visit a Marin County farmers market! Check out this complete schedule of farmers markets in Marin County for some seasonal favorites including berries, greens, and asparagus. Don’t forget to use your CalFresh EBT (food stamps) at participating farmers markets to double your dollars! Inquire at the Novato, Marinwood, Marin Civic Center, Fairfax, and Point Reyes Farmers Markets.
Publications and Resources
- Just published from UC ANR: two free publications California Dairies: Protecting Water Quality and Drought Strategies for California Prune Production, as well as Tree Fruit Pest Identification Cards for $10.00.
- Newly launched California Farmers Marketplace (CFM) website developed by the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) featuring fresh California produce, grains, meats, eggs, and dairy products.
- "Like" UCCE Marin on Facebook for updates about what's happening in Marin.