Hero Image

You are invited to apply for funding for agricultural worker housing

In 2003 the Marin RCD applied for funding from the State of California Housing and Community Development Agency, Joe Serna Farmworker Program. Although the proposal was not funded at that time, many valuable lessons were learned and it is time to try again. (Says rancher Bob Giacomini, "We applied in 2003 and hope to do so again.") The Marin RCD will not be the applicant this time, but will be supporting the effort.
       This is your opportunity to apply for grant/loan funds from the State of California Housing and Community Development Agency, Joe Serna Farmworker Program. We will be applying for funds to purchase manufactured housing units to replace existing poor quality housing units. The funds are competitive statewide for government, non-profits, and limited partnerships. A not-for-profit housing and service provider, California Human Development Corporation (CHDC), will be preparing the application and overseeing the project implementation. CHDC has many years of experience working with agricultural workers and operates farm worker housing in Napa and Sonoma counties.
       We all know how important our farm employees are to the success of our ranches here in Marin. "This is a great opportunity to upgrade your farm employee housing while taking advantage of state funding," says Dominic Grossi, Marin County Farm Bureau President.
       The Marin County Community Development Agency and Marin Agricultural Commissioner will be offering support to this program. Leelee Thomas from the Marin County Community Development Agency is assisting with the grant application. Please contact Leelee with any questions at 499-6697 or lthomas@co.marin.ca.us.
       All information provided in this application will be used only for the purposes of determining your eligibility for the agricultural worker housing program and will not be shared with other County agencies. Please call Leelee Thomas at the number above if you have any privacy or confidentiality concerns.
       To be considered for this opportunity you must obtain the Agricultural Worker Housing Application, fill out the form completely, and return the application to Marin County Community Development Agency, 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 308, San Rafael, CA 94903, Attn: Leelee Thomas, or fax it to 415-499-7880, no later than 5:00 pm on May 15, 2008.