General Project Description
The project will demonstrate improvement in the effectiveness of on-farm composting for low-pathogen dairy bedding production through co-composting of dairy waste with bulking agents derived from the local waste stream. It will demonstrate improved on-farm efficiency by reducing hauling and equipment maintenance costs associated with the importation and use of imported bedding material, enhance forage production via improved soil quality and water holding capacity, reduce weed management costs, and reduce costs associated with the hauling and spreading of wet manures on Marin County dairies.
The project will include the following:
1) Development of a community agricultural composting operation at the Lafranchi Dairy.
2) Development of a community greenwaste drop off and grinding site at the Nicasio rock quarry.
3) Establishment of a community waste handling system for West Marin equestrian facilities.
4) Co-composting of three significant West Marin waste streams - dairy, equestrian and green waste- for reutilization as dairy bedding and an organic soil amendment.
5) Establishment of a marketing system for Project products (Marin Organic).
6) Development of a Project-linked educational and outreach program (UC Cooperative Extension Service).