Skip to Content
University of California
Grown in Marin
Around Marin County
- We will miss Will Leib, Marin farmer and chicken expert who died recently. Will was a champion for sustaining agriculture in Marin and his rights to farm on the urban fringe in Novato. See "Something to Crow About" on Will in the May 2003 Grown in Marin issue.
- Grotto Rossotti Farm Store had its Grand Opening on October 22. In addition to Rossotti Ranch’s grass-fed goat and pasture raised veal, Grotto Rossotti also offers grass-fed beef, pasture-raised pork, Point Reyes preserves jam, goat and cow hides, and herbs from their gardens. Visit them at 10133 Valley Ford Road, Petaluma, and contact Julie@RossottiRanch.com with any questions.
- Congratulations to three of our North Bay cheese companies! They took top honors in the artisan cheese category as the 2012 Good Food Award Finalists. Stay tuned for a January ceremony in San Francisco. Achadinha Cheese Company for Capricious California, Bellwether Farms for Carmody & Whole Milk Ricotta California, and Saint Benoit Yogurt for Organic Yogurt Cheese California.
- Hog Island Oyster Co. is proud to become one of the nation’s first Food Alliance Certified Sustainable Shellfish Producers setting benchmark practices for fish and wildlife conservation, environmental protection, and safe and fair working conditions. The new certification program certifies socially and environmentally responsible management practices to meet growing consumer demand for sustainability, transparency and traceability in seafood.
- UC just published – the comprehensive, science-based book on cover cropping “Cover Cropping for Vegetable Production” available here, and “Organic Vegetable Production Manual,” offering detailed information for growers on how to farm vegetables organically available here. Also check out the UC ANR free publication "Understanding Livestock Grazing Impacts” for tips on assessing rangeland health, available here.
- Upcoming publication: The Chinese Medicinal Herb Farm: The Cultivator's Guide to Small-Scale Organic Herb Production by Peg Schafer with Sean Fannin. Pre-Publication Sale of $32.95 (plus shipping). Website only pre-orders can be made at their website: www.chinesemedicinalherbfarm.com. Contact Peg for bulk announcement options.
Webmaster Email: firstname.lastname@example.org