Hero Image

Weighmaster certificates

Selling cattle by live weight

Copy of IMG_3966

If you plan to sell live cattle by weight to customers either as whole animals or as a percentage of ownership, you must become a licensed Weighmaster with California State Division of Measurement Standards (DMS)

You can apply for your Weighmaster License here:



As a licensed Weighmaster, you must fill out a certificate every time you weigh an animal and provide a copy of the certificate to the customer along with the sales receipt.  Another copy goes into your records, to be kept for four years.

DMS doesn't provide blank certificates for Weighmasters, but you can download one below that has been made by UC Cooperative Extension in consultation with DMS especially for this kind of transaction:

Weighmaster Certificate - FILLABLE PDF

The Weighmaster certificate here has fillable spaces on the form so you can complete it on your computer and then save, print for your use and distribution to customers.

(Right click the link below and save to your computer)


Weighmaster Certificate - PRINTABLE PAPER

The Weighmaster certificate here is set up with two blank certificates per page.  You can print it and then fill out with pen during weighing.  One half goes to the customer and the other half stays in your records.

(Right click the link below to save to your computer)